24th of May 1967
Josep Antoni Cuadrat and Joan Mestre, who met each other while they were doing their military service, in the dining room and in the kitchen respectively, for army officers, opened Restaurante La Gamba. For the six previous years, this establishment had been known as Fonda Carmen.
Josep Antoni and Montserrat Sarrinat got married. She joined the family business.
Their two sons, Josep Maria and Joan were born.
Therefore, this was the period during which they initiated their professional and personal project with the restaurant and their family.
The business became consolidated. They purchased the establishment and carried out the first reforms on the glassed-in area and the outside terrace.
Growth of the business. The company acquired the ground floor of the historic building constructed in 1893 by Gustave Eiffel’s company. The extension of the new kitchen was inaugurated. The children, Joan in the kitchen and Josep Maria in the dining room, definitively joined the family restaurant.
During this decade, the new main dining room was opened in a place where fish used to be auctioned and where, later, goods such as salt, coal, cork, wine barrels and so on were stored. At the same time, joined to the dining room, a wine cellar was opened, using some former cisterns which were communicated to each other and with access for a service lift and stairs to be able to reach them safely. Gradual retirement of the Cuadrat-Sarrinats.
Second reform carried out to the glassed-in area and the outside terrace. Elegant materials were used, following the line of the main dining room, aiming to offer comfort and creating a pleasant atmosphere. Joan Cuadrat leaves the family business.
And we continue making history.
Along the way, we have received recognition from clients, friends, family, workmates, other professionals in the sector, suppliers and public institutions.
Quality has always been part of La Gamba’s way of working. We currently hold the Baix Empordà (SICTED).